Art Alexion on 20 Oct 2006 12:21:49 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Dual core, continued

On Thursday 19 October 2006 10:49, gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
> Ubuntu can be set to check for package on the CD only.  And packages and
> programs can be installed the usual, manual way.
>
> Jabberwocky wrote:
> > A separate, but related issue - sort of.  I live in a very rural
> > location, my only Internet connection is through Starband, which appears
> > to work only on Windows OS.  I'd like to use Ubuntu, but also like to
> > download software and "give it a spin."  I'm a bit confused about
> > repository issues with Ubuntu when there's no Internet connection.  Any
> > guidance would be appreciated

You can set up Ubuntu/Debian to work with repositories on your local hard
drive or your lan.  There is an Ubuntu wiki that shows you how.  You can
populate the local repositories with your windows connection.

That said, are you sure it is windows-only?  Usually, when an ISP says it only
supports windows, it means it will only provide instructions and answer
questions for windows systems.  The connection itself is usually OS-neutral.
You just have to configure and troubleshoot it yourself.  Why don't you
download the Ubuntu Dapper or Knoppix live CDs and see if they will connect?
You may be pleasantly surprised.

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

alarm.