Walt Mankowski on 22 Oct 2006 01:22:38 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Some MOTD show someone had WAAAY too much time

On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 06:00:29PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> Nice researching.

Thanks.  Now if only I can get my advisor to think that... :)

> No need to speculate on whether it's fortune or not:
>
>     jeff@astra:fortunes $ cd /usr/share/games/fortunes
>     jeff@astra:fortunes $ grep "No plain fanfold paper" *u8
>     songs-poems.u8:No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
>     jeff@astra:fortunes $

I actually did that before I went to Google, but you're doing too much
work.  You should really be using fortune's -m parameter:

  $ fortune -m "No plain fanfold paper"
  (songs-poems)
  %
  No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
  He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.
  Compiles and simulations grew so quickly tame
  And swapped out all their data space when Puff pushed his stack frame.
          (refrain)
  Puff, he grew so quickly, while others moved like snails
  And mini-Puffs would perch themselves on his gigantic tail.
  All the student hackers loved that fractal Puff
  But DCS did not like Puff, and finally said, "Enough!"
          (refrain)
  Puff used more resources than DCS could spare.
  The operator killed Puff's job -- he didn't seem to care.
  A gloom fell on the hackers; it seemed to be the end,
  But Puff trapped the exception, and grew from naught again!
          (refrain)
  Refrain:
          Puff the fractal dragon was written in C,
          And frolicked while processes switched in mainframe memory.
          Puff the fractal dragon was written in C,
          And frolicked while processes switched in mainframe memory.
  %
  $

Walt