Jeff McAdams on 23 Oct 2006 12:24:46 -0000

Re: [PLUG] spam abatement with a challenge/response system

Eric wrote:
> On Sunday 22 October 2006 10:28 pm, Jeff McAdams wrote:
>> Eric wrote:
>>> While exploring the internet for something else entirely I found mapSoN -
>>> a challenge/response system for filtering email.
>> I've only ever been on the receiving end of these things.
>>
>> I can say that they're a really good way to cut down on your email
>> load...including from many people not sending spam that really have a
>> legitimate basis for exchanging email with you but aren't willing to
>> jump through your hoops to do it.
>
> I too have received these.  In both cases, I just hit reply and
> then send.  Next thing I knew my email was delivered and I was "in".
> Although it was a hassle it was a very minor hassle... and completly
> understandable.
>
> What would you (or do you) use to avoid 100+ spams a day?

I let Thunderbird do its bayesian filtering stuff, and that knocks my
significantly-more-than-100-spams-per-day down to levels reasonable
enough for me to delete them without great annoyance.
--
Jeff McAdams
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."