Michael C. Toren on 23 Oct 2006 04:06:24 -0000

Re: [PLUG] spam abatement with a challenge/response system

On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 08:43:24PM -0400, Eric wrote:
> Does anybody have any experience with mapSoN (or other systems like it?)

In addition to the drawbacks others have pointed out, my primary objection
to CR systems is the additional backscatter they create for the rest of
the world:  If a spammer forges my From: address in a message they try to
deliver to you, your CR system ends up sending me a challenge.  This is
just as bad as an MTA which accepts a message and then generates a bounce
for it, as opposed to rejecting the message at SMTP time.

See also <http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Rants/challenge-response.html>

-mct