Douglas Muth on 24 Oct 2006 21:22:16 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: apt-get problems

On 10/24/06, Jeff Abrahamson <jeff@purple.com> wrote:

I don't think it's terribly informative, especially because you don't get to see the long pauses and delays. Some of the fetches that signal success appear to hang for a couple minutes. But, here it is, below. Running apt-get install produces errors, also, but if update doesn't work, that seems the place to look.

When dealing with problems there are delays like this involved, I've found it helpful to install daemontools and append "tai64n |tai64nlocal" to the command. The resulting output makes it much clearer where the delays are.

(For those who hate djb, I'm sure there are other tools that do this, too :-)

-- Doug