Greg Helledy on 26 Oct 2006 17:07:07 -0000

[PLUG] Linux as mailserver for small corporate office: advisable for newbies?

I work in an office with about 15 people. We have a machine running Windows XP and MDaemon (http://www.altn.com/) as our mailserver. The hardware's about 4 years old and struggling under its load.

We could just replace the hardware, and a dual-core CPU would allow us to take advantage of MDaemon's newest release being a multithreaded app.

I have been using linux at home for years but really as a desktop, so have no familiarity with MTAs. Are there any products (including commercial ones) that are designed to be administered by people with no linux experience? (I don't want to have to be the only one who can do anything). Are they any good?

Would there be any concrete advantages in a small office setting to going that route vs. just XP and MDaemon on a new machine, given that the rest of the office is an XP/2000 monoculture?

Greg Helledy

--
Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
and notify GRA, Inc. (postmaster@gra-inc.com) immediately. Please advise