sean finney on 30 Oct 2006 17:43:57 -0000

Re: [PLUG] After dist_upgrade, kubuntu system won't boot

(putting plug back in the cc list, the previous email was off-list
 due to the attachment size)

(oh, and if people get tired of the noise please speak up)

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 09:21 -0400, Art Alexion wrote:

> OK.  Let it run until it stalled.  The output is attached.  Let me know if I
> need to run it longer.

looking at the output, it didn't seem that it had stalled but was in a
loop repetitively polling various xml files from /usr/share.  i'm
guessing this is the normal behaviour for hal.

but i don't see anything really too strange in the output otherwise,
though it's possible i missed it due to the size.  let's try something
else:  doing an sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart, when hal hangs as its
coming up, immediately do a "ps -ef".  maybe that will let us see easier
if a particular hal child process is holding things up.  also, how about
the following info:

find /usr/share/hal /etc/hal /etc/dbus-1 -type f -print0 | xargs -0
md5sum | sort

(that should all be one line, if it's wrapped it's because my MUA sucks)

	sean