Randy Schmidt on 1 Nov 2006 20:21:25 -0000

[PLUG] gzip and CPU usage

Hello!

I have an install of mediawiki running on Ubuntu 6.04 which acts as a
knowledge base within our company. In order to back it up, I have a
script that runs every 2 hours that

1. Dumps the database
2. Copies the application and data
3. gzips it all
4. Moves the archive to another machine that gets backed up daily.

I had it backing up the knowledge base once every hour but I noticed
that zipping everything up took up too much CPU and made the knowledge
base and another application take forever to respond.

I have also noticed that gzip runs at random times (not specified in
my crontab and not while a backup is happening) which has caused a
large bottleneck.

Any ideas how to locate what is causing gzip to run when I don't want
it to and also is there a way to keep gzip from using up all of the
cpu? Is there a way of limiting it? I don't care if it takes 10 times
as long to create the archive.

Thanks in advance!
--
Randy Schmidt