Douglas Muth on 1 Nov 2006 20:25:57 -0000

Re: [PLUG] gzip and CPU usage

On 11/1/06, Randy Schmidt <x@altorg.com> wrote:

Any ideas how to locate what is causing gzip to run when I don't want it to and also is there a way to keep gzip from using up all of the cpu? Is there a way of limiting it? I don't care if it takes 10 times as long to create the archive.

Yes. To locate the gzip process, try using "ps afx" or simalar. The key thing is the "f" switch, which shows the "family" relationships between processes. You'll be able to see what process is calling gzip.

For slowing it down, the "nice" command will probably help.  I'd
recommend checking out the manpage for nice.

-- Doug