Randy Schmidt on 3 Nov 2006 16:42:25 -0000

Re: [PLUG] gzip and CPU usage

Woohooo! I found the problem...much thanks for the ps afx advice. When
I was initially setting up the backup script and testing it, I had set
it up in the root crontab to run every five minutes and then forgot
about it. When I set up the final backup script, I set it in the
regular user crontab to run every two hours. It was also dumping the
backups in the root home folder so I never saw the ones running every
five minutes...until now.

Thanks again!
Randy

On 11/1/06, Douglas Muth <doug.muth@gmail.com> wrote:
On 11/1/06, Randy Schmidt <x@altorg.com> wrote:

> Any ideas how to locate what is causing gzip to run when I don't want
> it to and also is there a way to keep gzip from using up all of the
> cpu? Is there a way of limiting it? I don't care if it takes 10 times
> as long to create the archive.

Yes.  To locate the gzip process, try using "ps afx" or simalar.  The
key thing is the "f" switch, which shows the "family" relationships
between processes.  You'll be able to see what process is calling
gzip.

For slowing it down, the "nice" command will probably help.  I'd
recommend checking out the manpage for nice.

-- Doug

Randy Schmidt
x@altorg.com
267.334.6833