Jeff Abrahamson on 2 Nov 2006 00:05:15 -0000

[PLUG] changing window manager

I'm trying to change my window manager.  It's not working.  I'm trying
to do it the right way, whatever that is, by using (debian testing)
update-alternatives.  But despite the below, when I authenticate to
gdm, or when I run startx from the non-X command line, up comes my old
wm, sawfish.  On another machine where I tried this, the default wm is
metacity, and the same problem presents.

Google presents lots of articles on wm choice, but I haven't found any
that address how to choose.

I can fix the problem with a sludge hammer, putting the name of my
preferred wm in ~/.Xsession.  This all seems wrong, though, even
update-alternatives.  WM choice should be easily configured by the
individual user.  Anyone know how?

    krypton:/home/jeff# update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

    There are 2 alternatives which provide `x-window-manager'.

      Selection    Alternative
     +        1    /usr/bin/sawfish
    *         2    /usr/bin/ratpoison

    Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: 2
    Using `/usr/bin/ratpoison' to provide `x-window-manager'.
    krypton:/home/jeff# update-alternatives --display x-window-manager
    x-window-manager - status is manual.
     link currently points to /usr/bin/ratpoison
    /usr/bin/sawfish - priority 70
     slave x-window-manager.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/sawfish.1.gz
    /usr/bin/ratpoison - priority 20
     slave x-window-manager.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/ratpoison.1.gz
    Current `best' version is /usr/bin/sawfish.
    krypton:/home/jeff#

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://jeff.purple.com/>          +1 215/837-2287