Austin Murphy on 2 Nov 2006 17:10:13 -0000

Re: [PLUG] changing window manager

On 11/1/06, Jeff Abrahamson <jeff@purple.com> wrote:
I'm trying to change my window manager.  It's not working.  I'm trying
to do it the right way, whatever that is, by using (debian testing)
update-alternatives.
I can fix the problem with a sludge hammer, putting the name of my
preferred wm in ~/.Xsession.  This all seems wrong, though, even
update-alternatives.  WM choice should be easily configured by the
individual user.  Anyone know how?

krypton:/home/jeff# update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

I think the problem is: x-session-manager overrides x-window-manager

If you link  /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager  to  /dev/null (or
otherwise decomission it) that should negate its effects while still
maintaining the ability to switch back to gnome or KDE using the
update-alternatives command.

The other option would be to remove gnome-session, ksmserver, and
xfce4-session which should remove anything that x-session-manager
would point to.

Austin