Stephen Gran on 2 Nov 2006 00:23:59 -0000

Re: [PLUG] changing window manager

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 07:04:46PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> I'm trying to change my window manager.  It's not working.  I'm trying
> to do it the right way, whatever that is, by using (debian testing)
> update-alternatives.  But despite the below, when I authenticate to
> gdm, or when I run startx from the non-X command line, up comes my old
> wm, sawfish.  On another machine where I tried this, the default wm is
> metacity, and the same problem presents.
>
> Google presents lots of articles on wm choice, but I haven't found any
> that address how to choose.
>
> I can fix the problem with a sludge hammer, putting the name of my
> preferred wm in ~/.Xsession.  This all seems wrong, though, even
> update-alternatives.  WM choice should be easily configured by the
> individual user.  Anyone know how?
>
>     krypton:/home/jeff# update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
>
>     There are 2 alternatives which provide `x-window-manager'.
>
>       Selection    Alternative
>     -----------------------------------------------
>      +        1    /usr/bin/sawfish
>     *         2    /usr/bin/ratpoison
>
>     Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: 2
>     Using `/usr/bin/ratpoison' to provide `x-window-manager'.
>     krypton:/home/jeff# update-alternatives --display x-window-manager
>     x-window-manager - status is manual.
>      link currently points to /usr/bin/ratpoison
>     /usr/bin/sawfish - priority 70
>      slave x-window-manager.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/sawfish.1.gz
>     /usr/bin/ratpoison - priority 20
>      slave x-window-manager.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/ratpoison.1.gz
>     Current `best' version is /usr/bin/sawfish.
>     krypton:/home/jeff#

The alternatives system is just a symlink farm, and it looks like you've
got it configured correctly (use readlink -e /usr/bin/x-window-manager to
make sure).

For the alternatives to work, something has to try to exec a program
named x-window-manager.  I am not sure anything actually ever calls
x-window-manager, though, so that may be where this plan is falling
apart.  Are you running gnome-session?  If so, there really is no choice
at all but to (kill $(pidof $current_wm) && exec $new_wm).

I could grumble about gnome's decision to use gconf and the similarity
to windows registry, but I'll stop there.
|  Stephen Gran                  | A subversive is anyone who can out-     |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | argue their government.                 |