Jeff Abrahamson on 2 Nov 2006 00:33:29 -0000

Re: [PLUG] changing window manager

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 12:23:46AM +0000, Stephen Gran wrote:
> The alternatives system is just a symlink farm, and it looks like
> you've got it configured correctly (use readlink -e
> /usr/bin/x-window-manager to make sure).
>
> For the alternatives to work, something has to try to exec a program
> named x-window-manager.  I am not sure anything actually ever calls
> x-window-manager, though, so that may be where this plan is falling
> apart.  Are you running gnome-session?  If so, there really is no
> choice at all but to (kill $(pidof $current_wm) && exec $new_wm).

Sawfish somehow magically relaunches itself, even when it is parented
to init.  The Gnome folks have done more than one thing like
Windows. ;-)

Thanks (and to Walt): .xinitrc was, indeed, specifying gnome-session,
which is very insistent about launching a window manager that it
likes.  Supposedly other wm's can coexist with gnome, but it's not
obvious.  Also non-obvious is what gnome does for me, so it's maybe a
wash.

> I could grumble about gnome's decision to use gconf and the
> similarity to windows registry, but I'll stop there.

You had to know it was coming, though, when they decided that .net and
C# would look good with linux-y lipstick. ;-)

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://jeff.purple.com/>          +1 215/837-2287