Will Dyson on 3 Nov 2006 19:00:14 -0000

Re: [PLUG] After dist_upgrade, kubuntu system won't boot

On 11/3/06, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:

I've never been happy with udev, even with earlier releases.  Getting it to
recognize my Palm phone was such a problem that I gave up and sync with the
serial, rather than usb port.

Yeah, the udev model (where device files are present only when the device is online) is a pain with brain-damaged devices like palm's usb support.

Palms are only actually connected to the USB bus when you push the
sync button. So when it is trying to sync is the only time the device
file  would be there. Linux palm software has not been updated for
this  new reality (it would need to watch  udev/hal for the device
creation as the signal to connect and try to sync).

I have reinstalled hal and dbus twice with no change.  Once with an
apt-get --reinstall and another where I first removed, then installed.  I
will try to reinstall udev this time.

> Please try reinstalling the udev package first, as I suspect that is
> the root of the problem.

Yeah, it looks like hal's behavior here is, if not correct, then at least what it always does.

What is in your 'ls  /sys/class/tty/ttyS*'?

Do you have stuff in /lib/udev/devices/ ?

If you want to know where those extra device files are coming from,
you can set udev_log="debug" in /etc/udev/udev.conf and then restart
the system  and look in the syslog.

Otherwise, just reinstalling udev should probably do it.

--
Will Dyson