W. Chris Shank on 4 Nov 2006 15:51:37 -0000

[PLUG] First 24 hours with MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo)

I thought some folks may be interested in this since the laptop discussion seemed to have a lot of interest.

MacBook Pro 15.4" 2 GB RAM, 120G HDD (this is the middle of the 3 models).

First impressions:
I was surprised how quickly it shipped, from Shanghi to Malvern in less than 36 hours (I think  - tracking said it left China at 11am on Nov 2 and arrived in Alaska at 12:15pm Nov 2 - time zones I assume).

Display is beautiful. Backlit keyboard had me baffled for a while until I figured out that a light sensor detected ambient light - so it's not even activated unless it's dark. Very cool. Magnetically attached power connector actually works - give it a good yank and the laptop stays put while the power cord pops free.

Sound quality is best I've ever had in a laptop. I'm surprised at the graphics quality, especially the dashboard effects. When starting a widget it gets plopped on the screen as if the screen is a pool of water - the ripple effect is flawless. But enough with the eye candy.

The first thing I did was make sure ssh worked, installed some other terminal sheels (iTerm & terminator) and RDP and VNC clients. Then I installed FireFox 2 and TB 1.5. I removed all the apple apps I won't use (mail, safari, iWhatever) and added my stuff to the dock. I installed Apple's X11 from the media. Then I went to darwinports and got their Port app. From there I was able to install openvpn, gnome-terminal, much like apt-get. I'm still working on getting the entire gnome desktop installed. If you put X11 in fullscreen mode you can switch to X11 apps independently of the OS X interface.

Also, OpenOffice v2 installed and is running nicely. If I can get an  entire Gnome or KDE environment running on X11, I may forgo installing Linux all together. I've got the apps I need and I'd rather not have to deal with dual booting if I can avoid it.

Overall, a pretty nice experience so far.

--
W. Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group, LLC