Will Dyson on 2 Nov 2006 20:49:14 -0000

Re: [PLUG] After dist_upgrade, kubuntu system won't boot

On 11/1/06, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:
On Wednesday 01 November 2006 02:17, Will Dyson wrote:
> On 10/31/06, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:
> > Right.  That is the problem.  The script is 20hal.  It starts hald.  I
> > attached it earlier.  I don't think the script itself is the problem,
> > though, because I can't start hal in daemonized mode even without the
> > script.
>
> Hmm. If you run 'hald --daemon=no' in a terminal, do the things that
> depend on it start working? Like lshal, for example. That would be
> strange if it did, I think.

I don't know.

> So lets see what is going wrong with hald in daemonize mode. As
> Stephen pointed out, strace takes an -f argument to follow children of
> the traced program. Using it should reveal what is going on with it in
> daemonize mode.
>
> # strace -f -o hald.strace -s 150 hald

This command basically froze the terminal for a couple of hours until I killed
hald from another terminal.  There was a resulting file, but it was over 13
MB, so I ran it again to get this smaller file.  Again, the attachment is
sent off-list.

Sorry Art,

It looks like you killed hald before it had a chance for the 250
second time-out to fire. I would be somewhat interested in seeing a
longer run (gzip the output).

In this trace, it appeared to be still working on probing your serial
ports when killed. It thinks you have 48 serial ports, btw. This could
be one reason it is taking longer than 250 seconds to startup.

It is doing a fair amount of work to probe each port, which apparently
includes re-reading all of its xml config files and forking a child.
Nobody has accused hald of being efficient :(

Could you post the output of 'ls -l /dev/ttyS*' please? My system
shows just the 4 entries that you would expect. Is your udev getting
confused for some reason?

Also, have you tried simply reinstalling the udev and hal packages?
Please try reinstalling the udev package first, as I suspect that is
the root of the problem.

--
Will Dyson