Dan Widyono on 2 Nov 2006 21:58:21 -0000

Re: [PLUG] After dist_upgrade, kubuntu system won't boot

> >> # strace -f -o hald.strace -s 150 hald
> >
> >This command basically froze the terminal for a couple of hours until I
> >killed
> >hald from another terminal.  There was a resulting file, but it was over 13
> >MB, so I ran it again to get this smaller file.  Again, the attachment is
> >sent off-list.
[...]
> It is doing a fair amount of work to probe each port, which apparently
> includes re-reading all of its xml config files and forking a child.
> Nobody has accused hald of being efficient :(

Interesting that you say this.  I was just reading up on some random website
about memory size of processes (they were interested in comparing KDE vs.
Gnome vs. Xfce) and they used exmap to analyze memory usage.

	http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/memory/

"Effective memory usage from Exmap for apps shows that 12.3M is taken by X,
... 3.0M by HAL daemon (out of which 2M is private data, don't ask me
why)..."

Now I'm starting 2 put 2 and 2 2gether...

Dan W.