TuskenTower on 8 Nov 2006 14:44:35 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Distance to my local CO

Heh, I had a terrible experience with SpeakEasy. Does Comcast offer
digital cable in your area? If so, you can probably get service from
them. I've been happy with them.. the IP is static for all intents and
purposes (mine has changed once in a year and a half), and it really is
a lot faster than anything Verizon will give you for $50 (assuming you
don't have Fios since you're asking about DSL).
No FIOS (un)fortunately.  I have Comcast, but if I drop them for "The
Internets" service, I can drop them for TV and use my HDTV setup
(which is still a work in progress, because I can't be bothered to
install MythTV or Freevo).

<SoapBox>
With the TeleCon industry it is really YMMV.  I have bad experiences
with Comcast, Verizon (Hell Atlantic fame), and Hell South (soon to be
AT&T).  I actually had a bad experience that the former AT&T was very
helpful with.  SBC (now AT&T) was good for my local line and DSL
service (in fact I never called them except to get service).

What I'm really interested in knowing is how you were screwed.  For
instance Comcast sent a well fishing team to my house and the guy
claim to have "activated" all the ports in my house.  Wrote it down
illegibly and asked me about the Internet service while doing it.  I
signed for, so its really my fault for letting myself get conned.
Moral of the story, make them write it out with an explanation and
never let the installer into your house.
</SoapBox>

> If you do go with Speakeasy, pick your favorite PLUG'er who uses
> Speakeasy and claim it was a recommendation.  Someone will get a
> small credit for the favor.
I'll post to the list before I make the jump. :)

thanks guys,
Amul