mmalten on 11 Nov 2006 12:40:33 -0000

Re: [PLUG] R32 ate own hard drive -- recommendations for new purchase?

Update:

I did order the MacBook. Did a bit of homework and discovered that all the software I like -- OpenOffice, R, etc. -- runs on OS X. I may use Boot Camp to dual-boot in Linux, or I may move (defect? transpose?) to OS X altogether.

The MacBook was clearly the way to go -- the amount of convergence from many sources was amazing. For the work I'm doing now, I can use both the speed and the DVD burner.

Despite the dramatic behavior of my R32's death scene -- everything but smoke -- I was eventually able to get the Rescue Disk to talk to the HD. E2FSCK later, I now have a backup machine in place for when the MacBook gets here. This puppy is no longer considered reliable.

Thanks again.