W. Chris Shank on 11 Nov 2006 23:38:27 -0000

Re: [PLUG] R32 ate own hard drive -- recommendations for new purchase?

I just got Parallels and it's awesome. I initially had a problem as there is an issue with the older version in the box and the new MBP's. But after I downloaded the updated version it's been running great. I have XP and Vista both running simultaneously with OS X and there is only a slight slow down. But the performance of XP in parallels is WAY better than on the 1.8Ghz P4 I had dedicated for it.

I just got the latest Ubuntu ISO and will be trying that next.

MBP - One laptop to run them all...

----- Original Message -----
From: Toby DiPasquale <toby@cbcg.net>
To: mmalten@comcast.net, Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2006 1:04:22 PM GMT-0500
Subject: Re: [PLUG] R32 ate own hard drive -- recommendations for new purchase?

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 07:40:18AM -0500, mmalten@comcast.net wrote:
> Update:
>
> I did order the MacBook.  Did a bit of homework and discovered that all
> the software I like -- OpenOffice, R, etc. -- runs on OS X.  I may use
> Boot Camp to dual-boot in Linux, or I may move (defect? transpose?) to
> OS X altogether.

For $80 you can run them both simultaneously:

http://www.parallels.com/

I use Parallels Desktop all the time on my MBPro and its really good. My
only complaint is that to get a networking mode like VMware's NAT mode you
actually have to turn NAT on in OS X, which is very annoying. Other than
that, its been great.

--
Toby DiPasquale

W. Chris Shank