Andrew M. Lauppe on 14 Nov 2006 21:37:55 -0000

[PLUG] Samba 3 question

Hey everyone; this is my first post so I’ll introduce myself…

I’m Andy Lauppe, and I’m the Network Administrator for Geneva Global Inc. ( www.genevaglobal.com ). We’re kind of a hybrid infrastructure (windows/linux) but anything I put in that’s new is linux. We’re hosting two CRM application servers in Red Hat and an Asterisk VoIP system in CentOS, but everything else is Ubuntu/Debian. I’m kind of a newbie but I have been successful enough in my adventures… until today. The questions I seem to keep coming up with end up being just a little beyond the scope of the tutorials and forum posts I’m finding.

That brings me to my Samba question(s): Can someone explain to me, in the smb.conf, what is the logic behind the following user/group categories?

-Valid Users/Groups

-Invalid Users/Groups

-Possible Users/Groups

-Read only Users/Groups

-Read/write Users/Groups

Specifically:

-          Do you need to use them all?

-          Is ‘invalid’ like ‘deny’?

-          If a group is in the ‘valid groups’, does it also need to be in possible and read/write to have read/write access?

Maybe giving me an example would be easier. Say I have 2 groups; ShareRW and ShareR. I want the people in ShareRW to be able to browse, read, and write, and the people in ShareR to browse and read only. What is/are the possible configuration(s) for that scenario?

I really appreciate any help you all might be able to give. I have hired CJ’s group, LinuxForce, to implement some Samba stuff for me but his Samba guru is done for the day and I wanted to try to up my understanding a little in the meantime. Thanks again!

Andy

Geneva Global Inc.
1550 Liberty Ridge Dr, Suite 330. Wayne PA 19087, USA Tel. +1 610 254 0000 - Fax +1 610 254 8231

Important Notice: This e-mail message and any attachments are confidential, may be legally privileged and are for the intended recipient only. If you have received this message in error, please do not copy, forward or store the contents, instead forward it back to the sender and permanently delete the message. No reliance should be placed on the contents of this message and the views expressed may not necessarily reflect those of Geneva Global Inc.. Unless stated otherwise this message does not constitute an offer or acceptance of any contractual terms.