Will Dyson on 19 Nov 2006 20:11:35 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Printer hassles

On 11/18/06, George Langford <george@georgesbasement.com> wrote:
Will Dyson wrote in reply to:

> What cups and lp related packages do you have installed?

CUPS: 1.1.x
lp - haven't a clue.

You should have cupsys-client installed to provide all the lp* commands. But if it worked before, I'm sure you have that.

> What steps have you taken to configure the printer with cups? Have
> you setup the printer through cups's web interface, or by editing
> the config files directly?
> What, exactly, do you mean by "reinstalled the printer driver"?

Delete the printer, then re-install it thru the CUPS web interface.
S/W: Epson Stylus Photo 870 Foomatic/Stp870p.upp (recommended)

You probably want to be using the gimp-print driver (debian package cupsys-driver-gimpprint) for that printer. You can then remove the foomatic-ppds package for a much cleaner list of available print drivers.

One clue: Weird ... yesterday, when I was stumbling around in CUPS,
when I chose "modify printer" I got an error message ... but not today.

Another clue:
                  lpoptions -p /dev/usb/lp0 -l
                  lpoptions: Destination /dev/usb has no PPD file!

Where _does_ the PPD file belong ?

It belongs in /etc/cups/ppd/<printername>.ppd. Printername must be the exact name of the printer, as setup in cups. The cups web setup should do this.

What do you see in /etc/cups/ppd/ right now? Can you post your
printers.conf file? What happens when you print a self-test page from
the cups web interface?

Also, you are misusing  the -p option  to lpoptions. It  wants the
name of the printer (as shown in printers.conf and the web interface),
and _not_  the  device file for  the  printer.

The lpoptions man page is really not clear on  this. Perhaps you
should file a bug report.

Example: 'lpoptions  -p Sytlus-C86' (becuase  my  printer  is named
"Stylus-C86" in cups).

--
Will Dyson
http://www.lucidts.com/