George Langford on 19 Nov 2006 23:29:36 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Printer hassles

Will Dyson wrote in reply to:

What cups and lp related packages do you have installed?

CUPS: 1.1.x lp - haven't a clue.

You should have cupsys-client installed to provide all  the lp*
commands. But if it worked before, I'm sure you have that.

Seems to be so.

What steps have you taken to configure the printer with cups? Have
you setup the printer through cups's web interface, or by editing
the config files directly?
What, exactly, do you mean by "reinstalled the printer driver"?

Delete the printer, then re-install it thru the CUPS web interface. S/W: Epson Stylus Photo 870 Foomatic/Stp870p.upp (recommended)

You probably want to be using the gimp-print driver (debian package
cupsys-driver-gimpprint) for that printer. You can then remove the
foomatic-ppds package for a much cleaner list of available print
drivers.

Yup. Scratched foomatic and went to the only remaining choice: EPSON Stylus Photo 870 - CUPS+Gimp-Print v4.2.7

One clue: Weird ... yesterday, when I was stumbling around in CUPS,
when I chose "modify printer" I got an error message ... but not today.

It came back: " Admin Error: client-error-not-possible"

Prolly 'cuz my printer name had spaces in it.  I had entered:
"EPSON%20Stylus%20Photo%20870" 'cuz that works in phishing URL's
(mostly residing on Apache servers ... another flavor of linux ...).
What I got was "EPSON Stylus Photo 870.ppd" which ls's OK but which
CUPS and "lpoptions -p Epson Stylus Photo 870 -l" couldn't find.

I deleted the printer yet one more time and reinstalled it with the
underlines, as in "lpoptions -p Epson_Stylus_Photo_870 -l" which
now gives me a burst of satisfying data.  Same for "Configure Printer"
in CUPS, which lists a bunch of stuff for me to mess with.

Another clue:
              lpoptions -p /dev/usb/lp0 -l
              lpoptions: Destination /dev/usb has no PPD file!

Where _does_ the PPD file belong ?

It belongs in /etc/cups/ppd/<printername>.ppd. Printername must be the exact name of the printer, as setup in cups. The cups web setup should do this.

_Now_ it does.  I had assumed that escp2-870.ppd was the name, but I
guess that is the default, which I am then 'sposed to modify for my
own special needs. Hence the taking on of a new name, unwittingly
specified by yours truly with those cryptic %20's.

What do you see in /etc/cups/ppd/ right now? ...

See above.

Can you post your printers.conf file?

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.23 # Written by cupsd on Sun 19 Nov 2006 02:20:51 PM EST <DefaultPrinter Epson_Stylus_Photo_870> Info Epson Stylus Photo 870 Location /dev/usb DeviceURI usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20870 State Idle Accepting Yes JobSheets none none QuotaPeriod 0 PageLimit 0 KLimit 0 </Printer> <Printer HPLJ5L> Info HP LaserJet 5L Location debianatGB DeviceURI parallel:/dev/lp0 State Idle Accepting Yes JobSheets none none QuotaPeriod 0 PageLimit 0 KLimit 0

What happens when you print a self-test page from the cups web interface?

That was what was most weird of all - the CUPS printer self test _and_ the self test page available through MTINK both printed fine even when the printer couldn't do anything else right. Must reside in the printer's grey matter.

Also, you are misusing  the -p option  to lpoptions. It  wants the
name of the printer (as shown in printers.conf and the web interface),
and _not_  the  device file for  the  printer.

Also works much better that way.

The lpoptions man page is really not clear on this. Perhaps you
should file a bug report.

I'll think about it.

Example: 'lpoptions  -p Sytlus-C86' (becuase  my  printer  is named
"Stylus-C86" in cups). Will Dyson

The printer can now handle HTML pages. All fixed, I guess.

I liken the process that I have just gone through to crossing a stream
by hopping from rock to rock.  At first, I was doing it with my eyes
closed.  PLUGgers have enlightened the path, and now it's easy. Thanks !

Best regards,
George

George Langford
george@georgesbasement.com