Art Alexion on 6 Dec 2006 14:06:32 -0000

Re: [PLUG] CD-Text to CDDB conversions

On Wednesday 06 December 2006 00:20, Malcolm J Harwood wrote:
> On Monday 04 December 2006 10:54, Art Alexion wrote:
> > Does anyone know of anything that reads CD-Text from an audio CD and
> > allows saving to a local cddb?
> >
> > I have a lot of audio CDs that are not on freedb.org and would like to
> > use disc-cover to make covers for them.  Disc-cover reads local or online
> > cddb, but not CD-Text.
>
> If you're using KDE, just sticking the disc in and opening "audiocd:/" in
> konqueror will populate ~/.cddb from freedb.org. I don't have any CDs that
> have cd-text but aren't in the database so I don't know if it will do what
> you need, but it could be worth trying.

Yeah.  I have a lot of CDs not in the database.  One thing that seems to work
is opening the CD with kscd which reads CD-Text.  It will report that there
is no database entry for the CD.  Then open the CDDB editor in kscd.  It is
already filled in with the CD-Text data.  Submit it to freedb.org.  This also
creates an entry in ~/.cddb.

Two problems.  I think there should be a direct way to do the conversion and I
think it may be an abuse of freedb.org to submit stuff that no one else has.

Google was not my friend on this one.  I assumed there must be some perl thing
that would read CD-Text and output a cddb file.  After all, the capability is
built into kscd.  It just doesn't seem to write a local file without
submitting to freedb.org.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @