Chris Sandy on 14 Dec 2006 17:23:12 -0000

RE: [PLUG] binding specific NIC to multiple IPs

ifconfig eth1:0 ip netmask 255.255.255.255
ifconfig eth1:1 ip netmask 255.255.255.255
ifconfig eth1:2 ip netmask 255.255.255.255

?

Chris S
chris@jynx.net
www.jynx.net

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Art Alexion
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 12:17 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] binding specific NIC to multiple IPs

I've asked this question before, but didn't get an answer I could
understand.
Maybe I was asking wrong.

I want to reconfigure a LAN that consists of 2 computers, one Linux and one
win2k.

Right now, each computer has 2 NICs.  One NIC in each is connected to a DSL
router, and the other is connected to a LAN hub.  Works fine, but I think
there is a bottleneck with the old hub.

Presently, eth1 (and its corollary on the win2k machine) is used with the
DSL
router and gets its addressing from the router's DHCP server.  Eth0 is used
for the LAN via the hub and its addressing is done with an /etc/hosts file
(and a hosts file on the windows machine as well).

My DSL router also functions as a LAN hub.  Accessing its web-based
configuration, I can see that it is assigning LAN IP addresses via its DHCP
server to each client properly.

My problem is getting my clients set up to use eth1 and the assigned IPs
instead of eth0 and the static IPs for peer to peer LAN connections.

Any help will be appreciated.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @