Chad Vogelsong on 14 Dec 2006 19:43:03 -0000

RE: [PLUG] binding specific NIC to multiple IPs

Unplug the eth0 cables and "ifconfig eth0 down".  Edit the hosts file and remove (or comment out) entries relating to the other computer.

If both your computers are plugged into the router (multiple ports available), then by asking your linux machine where the other computer is "ping other-machine", it should find it.

Make sure eth1 is the default route.
"route" - to see the table
"man route" - to see how to modify the table if needed

Try to ping the IP address of the windows computer, then the hostname if that succeeds.  I don't know why you would want to have the 2 NIC's and the separate cable to connect them, when they can go through the switch in your router.

Chad