George A. Theall on 20 Dec 2006 20:23:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu/PHP/Joomla security

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 01:13:49PM -0500, Shameel Arafin wrote:

> I am completing a multi-site project for a client, that involves
> Joomla! installations on an Ubuntu server. We are looking for a
> security expert to help us lock down security holes on three levels:
>     --Ubuntu (Dapper)
>     --PHP 5/MySQL 5
>     --Joomla 1.0.11 (Sunbow)

Have you considered setting up Nessus along with a registered or direct
feed and using that to test for known flaws yourself? Nessus tracks
Ubuntu security advisories and can test for them if you provide SSH
credentials, and those would also cover PHP / MySQL provided you're
using the distro's package management feature to install the apps.

As for Joomla, Nessus can check for most of the flaws remotely as well
as in some of the more popular add-ons.

Disclaimer: I work for Tenable (the folks behind Nessus) and write many
of the plugins for Nessus.

George
--
theall@tifaware.com