Art Alexion on 20 Dec 2006 20:56:09 -0000

Re: [PLUG] dvd authoring

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 14:55, John Fiore wrote:
> I just started monkeying with this stuff a day or two ago, and I'm
> finding the whole thing to be a major pain too.
>
> Here's the command that I used successfully to encode something that
> dvdauthor didn't choke on:
>    ffmpeg -i inputfile.mpg  -target ntsc-dvd -y -aspect 4:3 outputfile.mpg
>
> For the last hour or two, I've been trying to do the same with
> mencoder, using the following settings that are slightly modified from
> the ones suggested on the mplayer web site.  We'll see how it goes:
>
> mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf  \
>      -vf scale=720:480,harddup -srate 48000 -af lavcr  \
>      esample=48000 \
>      -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=3500:keyint=1
>8:vstrict=0:a codec=ac3:abitrate=192:aspect=4/3 -ofps 30000/1001 -o
> outputfile.mpg inputfile.mpg

OK, this worked.  I think what I was doing before worked too.  I think the
problem was elsewhere.  (See below)

> The dvdauthor settings that I
> was using are very plain, and create a DVD with no menus, no chapters,
> and the movie starts as soon as the disk is inserted.

> Coincidentally, I just downloaded qdvdauthor for the first time
> yesterday.  I haven't played around with it much, but to be honest at
> first glance, it doesn't appear to be any easier than  dvdauthor by
> itself.  If you have any luck with it, please let me know.

The bug appears to be in my version of qdvdauthor.  The GUI creates an xml
file which it passes to dvdauthor.  The bug is in the xml file it creates.

Instead of 4:3 [ratio], it writes 2.21:1.  The work around is pretty trivial.
In the qdvdauthor file menu choose "Export dvdauthor..."  Open the xml export
in a text editor and replace all instances of 2.21:1 with 4:3.  Then at the
command prompt enter
dvdauthor -x exportfile.xml
Burn the dvd with k3b or growisofs.
Works fine and now you have menus and background sound, etc.

It is pretty easy to create the menus in qdvdauthor.

The drive came with a free copy of Nero.  That trick saved me from having to
move the dvd burner to a windows machine.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @