Mike Leone on 30 Dec 2006 23:47:27 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Problems activating Squirrelmail on Apache2 on Debian testing - SOLVED

sean finney wrote:
hey mike,

On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 21:08 -0500, Mike Leone wrote:
When I browse to <http://10.0.0.20/testphp.php>, I get the test page, which tells me that php4 is running. (v 4.4.4-8)

So then I install squirrelmail and squirrelmail-locales. I configure Squirrelmail, and I make a link to activate it

ln -s /etc/squirrelmail/apache.conf etc/apache2/conf.d/squirrelmail.conf

and restart apache.

However, when I go to bring up the squirrelmail webpage <http://myip/squirrelmail>, my browser (IE or Firefox) wants to know what to do with a PHP file (application x-httpd-php). Web searches have been less than helpful.

if you wget the page, do you get the php source or the dynamic output? there's a firefox "feature" having to do with it internally storing the mime-type of a file when it shouldn't be. if that's the case you can nuke the cache and it'll reload.

And that was it - I cleared cache (on both IE 7 and Firefox 2.0) and then the login page came up in both browsers.

Well, I feel silly, that it was so easy to fix. :-) Thanks for the tip.