Matthew Rosewarne on 4 Jan 2007 15:05:12 -0000

Re: [PLUG] moving from iTunes to Amarok

On Thursday 04 January 2007 08:20, Toby DiPasquale wrote:
> Are you a lawyer? If not, have you consulted with a lawyer on any of these
> statements? You sure seem to be able to know what's legal and what's not.

No, I'm not a lawyer, so do consider this a word of warning and not a legal
consultation.  I have, however, read a great deal into the legal
ramifications of some of the more... interesting pieces of legislation coming
out of our wonderful government and the court cases that happen as a result.
The plain fact is (and remember, do consult an actual lawyer if you want
iron-clad legal advice) that this country does have in its body of law both
software patents and a ban on DRM anti-circumvention measures.

AAC/M4A, like MP3, is a quagmire of patents held by all sorts of people, from
Apple to various members of MPEG to who knows who else.  In general, there
are bound to be more people who have patents in it, since it's nearly
impossible to write any software that doesn't violate scores of patents
nowadays.  AT&T for one has been trying to use their mpeg-related patent
portfolio as a blunt instrument against various people writing
implementations, such as Apple.  Now unlike MP3, M4A (or for the technical,
MPEG-4 Part 14) does not have a patent licensing requirement for end users,
just developers, but the distinction is unclear (probably intentionally so).

A list of patents from the MPEG LA
http://www.mpegla.com/m4s/m4s-att1.pdf
Via's FAQ on the topic:
http://www.vialicensing.com/Licensing/MPEG4_FAQ.cfm?faq=1#1

As for "Jhymn" and it's parent "hymn", I'm mistaken about them.  They
apparently stopped working as of iTunes 6, but there are other pieces of
software that do work (or so I'm told), QTFairUse and myFairTunes, both for
Windows only.  Legally, they are in the same boat as hymn, as they almost
certainly (again, consult a lawyer) fall under the definition
of "anti-circumvention device" as in the DMCA.

Now, what does all this mean?  Well, I don't know and I'm not sure if anyone
else does either, since the whole area is a legal grey area, if a fairly dark
grey one.  As far as I know, no linux user has even been sued over possession
or use of anything like this, such as DeCSS or any other software.  I don't
believe any individual linux user has even been sued for patent infringement
either.  Chances are, if you aren't using this in a business setting, and in
reality it would have to be a fairly large business to get on the radar, you
probably won't ever have to worry about being liable.  It would be best for
you and pretty much everyone else, however, if you (or more precisely, y'all)
read up on the topic and spoke out about it to... well anyone, but your
various government representatives in particular.  And I can't beat this dead
horse enough, but do consult a lawyer if you really need some kind of actual
legal advice on the topic.  If you're interested in this topic, it would be
worth your time to make it to Richard Stallman's upcoming presentation at
Drexel, which was announced earlier on the list.