Mike Leone on 10 Jan 2007 17:51:20 -0000

[PLUG] syslog-ng config question, to ignore entries in mail.log

At work i use a Postfix mail server, running on Debian testing, to screen my
Exchange 2003 server. Postfix, in it's zeal to log everything, shows me all
log entries for when it rejects mail for mis-addressed users. And I get
10-12K+ messages a day, from spammers/viruses/bots, all addressed to random
addresses at my domain. Needless to say, this makes my mail logs huge and
unweildy. I'd like to syslog-ng to just ignore them and not log these
multitudes of entries. I've tried reading through the documentation for
syslog-ng, and I'm still lost.

Can anybody help?

I want to not log these:

Jan  9 08:02:28 cliff-claven postfix/smtpd[21035]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT
from hst-141-208.union-net.net[85.239.141.208]: 554 5.7.1
<viray@contributionship.com>: Recipient address rejected: Access denied;
from=<gusmanxoa@barcenas.net> to=<viray@contributionship.com> proto=SMTP
helo=<barcenas.net>

AFAICT, there's no way to tell postfix not to log something. There are ways
to tell it to ignore certain headers, or make decisions based on entries in
the body of the message, but these log entries don't fall under that.

I'd want to continue to log all other mail messages; just don't want to see
all these "NOQUEUE: reject" messages. And since the mail.log is
automatically mailed to my Windows account for review, I'd like to avoid
logging them at all, as opposed to a solution which ignores them while
reviewing on a Linux platform.

If there's a better way to do that, I'd love to hear it.