Mitchell Maltenfort on 10 Jan 2007 18:06:05 -0000

[PLUG] Success with Debian on Dell Latitude LM! (40 Meg RAM)

Since I got help and support on this project from the PLUG list, I reckoned I should share what I did and how it worked.

Recap: Dell laptop (Latitude LM) with 40 Meg RAM, 2.1 HD, Pentium 133 MHz.

New wrinkle: it won't boot off a CD! I would have to install off a floppy. So I went with a Debian stable install, which can be done via 4 floppies.

With the Ethernet card Darian provided (thanks, Darian!), I could access the larger package selection. I used the default partition options, which included a 112 Meg swap file.

Fluxbox for desktop, no Gnome or KDE, and dillo for my web browser But it seems to work -- no speed demon, but not noticeably lagging either. Kernel is 2.4.27, since I reckoned I'd be safer with an older kernel on an older laptop.

This thing will be used as a traveling typewriter, and I'll get files in and out via floppy -- or via memory stick. I just have to decide if I want to buy a USB floppy drive for my home machines, or a USB adapter for the Dell.

Thanks again...

Regards,

Mitch