sean finney on 15 Jan 2007 16:13:21 -0000

Re: [PLUG] syslog-ng config question, to ignore entries in mail.log

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 10:50 -0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> Never got an answer to this, so I thought I'd try again. Anyone know of a
> way I can do this?

okay, okay, i'll bite :)

> Mike Leone (turgon@mike-leone.com) had this to say on 01/10/07 at 12:53:
> > At work i use a Postfix mail server, running on Debian testing, to screen my
> > Exchange 2003 server. Postfix, in it's zeal to log everything, shows me all
> > log entries for when it rejects mail for mis-addressed users. And I get
> > 10-12K+ messages a day, from spammers/viruses/bots, all addressed to random
> > addresses at my domain. Needless to say, this makes my mail logs huge and
> > unweildy. I'd like to syslog-ng to just ignore them and not log these
> > multitudes of entries. I've tried reading through the documentation for
> > syslog-ng, and I'm still lost.

personally, i take the "log all and selectively notify" approach, so my
preferred modus operandi would be to let syslog-ng log it, but modify
the logcheck/whatever rules to ignore the messages.  it'd really suck in
the hypothetical situation that your box was rooted and a potentially
informative message was silently discarded (not that i've ever been
rooted via postfix but as a general rule).

however, if do you want to strip it from syslog, you should create a new
filter using the program(foo)/match(foo) directives in conjunction with
the boolean not directive with your current filter.  if your current
filter directive is "myfilter" then you could do something like:

filter postfixjunk { program(postfix/smtpd) and match(foo); }

and then replace the filter(myfilter) in your log stanza to

filter( filter(myfilter) and not filter(postfixjunk) );

keep in mind that this means executing a regex match on every syslog
entry that hits this filter, which could be potentially expensive if you
do a lot of logging.  in that case, you might want prepend a few more
cheap conditions (facility/priority) before the expensive ones.

	sean