Matthew Rosewarne on 13 Jan 2007 00:59:23 -0000

Re: [PLUG] iptables logging

On Friday 12 January 2007 18:57, Stephen Gran wrote:
> This would be a real performance hit, if you think about it.  the
> default timeout for the gethostbyname() call is roughly 30 seconds - I
> doubt you want to wait that long for name resolution before deciding
> whether to allow a packet or not.  Better to have a log parser that
> calls gethostbyname and getservbyport to return services associated with
> the port logged.

Well, I'm not trying to use hostnames for the ACCEPT or DROP rules, I just
want them to show up in the log, which quite so time-critical.  A log parser
approach might work for that, but I don't know of one that does such things.
Perhaps I'd have to write a plugin for ulogd myself (oh joy).

> You should probably add a unique identifier to each LOG target, so you
> know which rule got matched.  iptables on recent kernels does have the
> ability to match on uid, so I imagine this could be used as a rough
> service map - I tend to run all services as seperate, non-privileged
> accounts when possible, and I do use the uid match feature for outgoing
> iptables rules.

This is really more for a desktop/workstation setup, as opposed to a server of
some sort.  As such, I have a number of apps that might send all kinds of
traffic in and out of various ports and almost all of them run as the login
user, so just knowing the port numbers and SRC/DEST isn't all that helpful.
My worst offenders are bittorrent (my UID), tor (its own UID), and loading
pages from broken webservers that give funky TCP flags or frag packets (my
UID).  When any of these is happening, all of the other suspicious packets
get lost in a gigantic log.  Since all of these apps have to open inet
sockets, I was sort of hoping someone knew of a way to have a netstat-esque
lookup happen at logging-time so the app name gets recorded.  The UID rule
looks useful though for some of the more traditional daemon-like things
though.