Matthew Rosewarne on 13 Jan 2007 19:01:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] apt interdependencies

On Saturday 13 January 2007 08:55, Art Alexion wrote:
> I thought the whole point of installing in /opt (or /usr/local) was to not
> break the system with non-distro software.  2.0.2 is seriously broken with
> regard to templates, crucial if you are going to make any serious use of
> the program.

Well, that might have been pretty much true in the days of UNIX, but now there
are so many shlibs, config hooks, etc. that any sort of "complex" application
like OOo would require installing all sorts of things in opt along with it.
This really should be considered more of a hack than a solution.

> I would think this was more dangerous as they would install in /usr and
> most likely break things if they are not compatible.
Well, since they're packages which are probably similar to (and based on) the
stable ones, I would expect that they would not break much of anything, and
if they're incompatible they would be easily removed.  Not to mention that
they would almost certainly integrate better with the desktop.  I don't
really know how much Ubuntu's infrastructure changes across releases, or how
much they depart from Debian, but even so their packages should be more
compatible than the third party's.

> I am in agreement that alien is a hit of miss proposition, but it worked
> fine this time.  Make sure to use the '--scripts' flag when converting the
> core components.  I think the OOo packagers designed the RPMs to be easily
> converted so that they wouldn't have to distribute both binary versions.

There are instructions on the OOo website for making debs out of the rpms
using alien, which apparently needs help with the scripts.
http://installation.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=609

> No.  There are no 'problems' with the system as it is.  Apt thinks
> everything is fine.  It is the REMOVAL of OOo 2.0.2 (the defective version)
> that wants to remove the other packages.
Not entirely sure about Ubuntu, but in Debian there is a package
called "equivs" which lets you generate empty packages that only contain
dependencies.  This might be useful as the glue to fool apt into playing
nice.