Art Alexion on 13 Jan 2007 13:56:34 -0000

Re: [PLUG] apt interdependencies

On Friday 12 January 2007 15:17, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> On Friday 12 January 2007 14:39, Art Alexion wrote:
> > The DEBs install in /opt and seems to run fine.  I have no use
> > for the OOo 2.0.2 that comes with Kubuntu Dapper.  I tried to remove it
> > with 'apt-get remove openoffice-*'
>
> Could that version of OOo perhaps tide you over until the next release of
> Ubuntu?  Unless you'd like to become a developer, you probably should
> really wait for your distributor to release their updated packages.  Making
> good packages isn't trivial, and throwing together random tarballs & RPMs
> from 3rd parties are likely to fill your system with files in wacky
> locations, if not break it outright.

I thought the whole point of installing in /opt (or /usr/local) was to not
break the system with non-distro software.  2.0.2 is seriously broken with
regard to templates, crucial if you are going to make any serious use of the
program.

> If you absolutely need 2.1 right away, there are packages for Debian
> experimental and Ubuntu "Fiesty" available.  How compatible they might be
> with your Ubuntu version is not something I would know, but they would
> probably be much more so than RPMs from OOo.org.
> http://packages.debian.org/experimental/source/openoffice.org
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/feisty/+package/openoffice.org

I would think this was more dangerous as they would install in /usr and most
likely break things if they are not compatible.

> >  I downloaded OOo 2.1 from the OOo website and converted the RPMs to DEBs
> > with alien.
>
> Alien really should not be used for that sort of thing.  DEBs are complex
> beasts and their design is just fundamentally different from RPMs.  If you
> really want to make a DEB, you might consider doing it the proper (albeit
> harder) way instead with dpkg.  It would probably make it easier to grab
> the source DEBs from your repository and simply replace the OOo 2.0.2
> tarball with the new one and update the package info.
> Info on how to make DEBs can be found in the Debian Policy Manual @
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/

I am in agreement that alien is a hit of miss proposition, but it worked fine
this time.  Make sure to use the '--scripts' flag when converting the core
components.  I think the OOo packagers designed the RPMs to be easily
converted so that they wouldn't have to distribute both binary versions.

> > The following packages will be REMOVED:
> >   aspell aspell-en dictionaries-common gnome-spell kubuntu-desktop
> >   mozilla-thunderbird myspell-en-gb myspell-en-us
> >
> > Am I going to get into some kind of endless loop if I allow apt to remove
> > them, and then try to reinstall them afterwords?  Will they claim the
> > openoffice files as dependencies?
>
> These are probably being removed because the OOo DEBs you made with alien
> conflict with them.  It would be helpful if you could post the whole
> summary of changes that apt proposes.

No.  There are no 'problems' with the system as it is.  Apt thinks everything
is fine.  It is the REMOVAL of OOo 2.0.2 (the defective version) that wants
to remove the other packages.

My question was whether to

1. Allow the removal, and then reinstall the non-openoffice packages, thereby
reclaiming 549 MB of disc space and removing the mime links which point to
the wrong app; or
2. leaving it as is and trying to figure out how to change the mime links.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @