gabriel rosenkoetter on 13 Jan 2007 01:25:37 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: OS X FTP

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 08:00:38PM -0500, gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
> Hey, Gabriel.  When I wrote that, I didn't know about the included ftp
> server.  I just need something that will be easy for a non-technical
> user to control.  The ftp users should have access to only their
> individual directories.  I don't have OS X to play with, so all I can do
> is pass info along.

I don't recall whose implementation they use, but Apple Menu ->
System Preferences... -> Sharing lets you configure some ftpd
graphically.

I don't think it'll chroot users automatically; they'll have access
to whatever they would if they logged in on the console.

lukemftpd, on the other hand, does let one configure chroot'ed access
by groups and lock users in (modulo conscious placement of home
directories and the location of those home directories) to their
home directories. It doesn't let you create "virtual" users for FTP
only. NcFTPD does do that; it's relatively cheap commercially and
may still be free for home/educational users. Both of those
definitely aren't for Mac OS X users who are uncomfortable using
Terminal.app.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net