sean finney on 14 Jan 2007 18:28:27 -0000

Re: [PLUG] apt interdependencies

hi art,

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 14:39 -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
>  I downloaded OOo 2.1 from the OOo website and converted the RPMs to DEBs with
> alien.  The DEBs install in /opt and seems to run fine.  I have no use for
> the OOo 2.0.2 that comes with Kubuntu Dapper.  I tried to remove it with
> 'apt-get remove openoffice-*'
>
> OOo 2.1 seems safe from the removal, but other non-openoffice packages were in
> line for removal
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   aspell aspell-en dictionaries-common gnome-spell kubuntu-desktop
>   mozilla-thunderbird myspell-en-gb myspell-en-us

you might want to try selectively removing packages (instead of using a
wildcard glob) to find out (a) what exactly you're removing and (b)
where the dependency chain is.  with myspell-en-us, for exmaple, it
seems installing dictionaries-common before removing the relevant oo
package will keep it on the system.

some helpful (and hopefully self-explanatory) commands:

	dpkg -l 'openoffice*' | grep ^ii
	apt-cache show foo | grep Depends
	apt-cache rdepends foo
	apt-get --dry-run remove foo

> Am I going to get into some kind of endless loop if I allow apt to remove
> them, and then try to reinstall them afterwords?  Will they claim the
> openoffice files as dependencies?

some of them may find themselves satisfied by other dependencies (like
the case mentioned above) but others (like kubuntu-desktop) have direct
dependencies.

> Should I leave well enough alone?  This isn't just 549 MB, but the old version
> is currently the default handler for the relevant file types.

probably your easiest way out of this is to update your default handlers
(/etc/mailcap, maybe somewhere special for mozilla/kde/gnome), your
default path, and then just deal with all the wasted space.  you could
also see if you could get away with only removing the oo packages that
provide /usr/bin/whatever without tickling the dependency problems, and
then plop symlinks pointing to your own.

otherwise, another alternative would be to go the equivs route (apt-get
install equivs), via which you could talk the pkg management system into
believing that the ubuntu oo packages are still installed even though
they aren't.  this would also allow you to keep the kubuntu-desktop
metapackage installed fwiw.  but this route is a little more in the "i
won't stop you from shooting yourself in the foot" vein.

	sean