Matt Singleton on 16 Jan 2007 03:07:49 -0000

Re: [PLUG] How do you run Linux apps across a LAN from Windows?

You can set up an X Server that will run on Windows using Cygwin [1]. You can then run the app remotely with X forwarding as you would do from a *nix box. I've done this in the past and it works quite well over a LAN. I don't have any experience with VNC, but I'm pretty sure that Ubuntu has some VNC stuff included. I'd suggest trying out the Cygwin X forwarding first, though.

Matt

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/

gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
I think you need an X server on the Windows box, or something line VNC.

Mike Leone wrote:
Say I have a Gnome app on a Ubuntu server on my LAN. And I want to access this app from Windows. I don't want to run the app on Windows, using Cygwin or whatever; I want to connect to that Ubuntu server and run that app from Windows, just as if I was starting up an app on a Windows server.

Using free software, since this project isn't big enough to justify spending any money on, to buy software for the Windows desktops.

How would you do that? I know how to run Windows apps in Linux (locally, not across the LAN); I want to do the reverse - have an icon on my Windows desktop, that starts up a Gnome app that is running on a separate host on the LAN.

My searching has been less than fruitful. If there's a detailed HOWTO or something somewhere, I'd appreciate it if somebody could point me at it.