Paul Snyder on 18 Jan 2007 16:07:15 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Need some help with a regex for a logcheck rule ..

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Mike Leone wrote:

> ^\w{3} [ :0-9]{11} cliff-clavin postfix/smptd\[[0-9]+\]: NOQUEUE: reject:
> RCPT from.$
>
> This will ignore ALL "NOQUEUE: reject:" messages in my mail log, I think.
> Yes?
>
> I guess I should just be ignoring the "Recipient address rejected: Access
> denied;" ones. But I don't know how to phrase that.

How about

  Recipient address rejected: Access denied

If you want to match "NOQUEUE: reject:", then just use the regex

  NOQUEUE: reject:

I'm not familiar with logcheck's details, but the above should work
just about anywhere.  You don't need any special regex characters, as
this is straight string-matching.

Don't match the beginning of the string if you don't need to...but if the
string you are matching for always occurs at the beginning of the line,
definitely use the '^' anchor, as it will typically be faster.  (Same goes
for '$' - don't use it if you don't need it (and your above will
probably fail, as the last '.' will match only the first character after
from; any more characters will cause the match to fail, as the end of
the line must follow immediately; you probably meant '.*').

Caveat: I haven't used logcheck, so the above is conjectural.

> Can anybody lend a hand?

HTH,
pls