Joseph Sands on 22 Jan 2007 15:32:55 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Exchange hosting at a different location from web hosting

The nameservers would stay the same, on the DNS server you would change
the MX record to point to one host (10.10.10.10) and create an A record
for your app pointing to the VPS (172.0.0.1).

Joe Sands
-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Randy Schmidt
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2007 10:24 AM
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Exchange hosting at a different location from web
hosting

Here is another somewhat related question.

I am thinking about using a VPS to host some applications so that I
don't have to try to worry about shared hosting. Is it possible to
host the domain on a VPS and set up email and stuff on a shared host
like Dreamhost? This way I wouldn't have to set up a mail server and
web access, etc on my own. Is it as simple as setting the mx records
to dreamhost and the nameservers to point to the VPS?

Thanks!
Randy

On 1/19/07, jimjawn <jimjawn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Randy,
>
> This is quite easy.  Set up your web host as you normally would and in
your
> dns serttings, set the MX records to the company that hosts your
exchange
> mail.  That's it.
>

>  On 1/18/07, Randy Schmidt <x@altorg.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am developing a site for a client using Ruby on Rails, however,
they
> > use hosted exchange for their email. I need to have the web app
hosted
> > on a linux box so I need to separate the hosting for the two. Has
> > anybody here done this before and can give me some words of wisdom
in
> > doing this? Is it fairly easy? I have just started doing research
but
> > it is something that is somewhat hard to search for. Any help would
be
> > greatly appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --