gyoza on 25 Jan 2007 21:02:41 -0000

Re: [PLUG] large file transfer

Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
On Thursday 25 January 2007 11:57, gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
Is there something better than FTP for "civilians" to transfer up to
gigabytes of files? This would be used for business to business
transfers of image files.
Provided there's a linux machine somewhere in this equation, by far the best approach is SSH+SFTP. There is a windows GUI for it called WinSCP, which is complete, stable, and integrates with explorer. All you need to do is give the remote user a login+password and point them to your machine, just like FTP. The primary advantage of this approach over any of the other mentions is security, as the traffic is both authenticated and encrypted, which is essential for sharing over the internet. Ask in IRC if you need any help setting it up. It should be very straightforward. I've put it in place for several "mortals" (or lusers, whatever you prefer) and they haven't had any problems with it.

The only other decent approach I can think of is WebDAV, which has the advantage of not needing additional software on the client, but the disadvantage that it's fairly complicated to setup, especially compared to SSH.

If you only need for people to download things anonymously from your machine and not upload, you might try webfsd (it's in Debian) which is a tiny webserver that only serves up a directory over HTTP. The only configuration you need to do is tell it what directory you want it to share. Again, ask on IRC if you need more details.

Hope this helps.

Those are some nice suggestions. I'd like to be able to do both FTP and SFTP. I can add a Linux server if I need to. Or would a service providing a server be better considering that we're working with a regular Comcast cable connection?