Matthew Rosewarne on 27 Jan 2007 01:06:33 -0000

Re: [PLUG] large file transfer

On Friday 26 January 2007 17:55, gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
> Well, I /tried/ to install FC6 but I seem to have disc or drive
> problems.  Instead, I grabbed my Kubuntu 6.06 Alternate install disc and
> chose "server".  Smooth, quick install.  Then I just added
> openssh-server and vsftpd, ran a dist-upgrade, and rebooted.  Testing now.
If you want to run a standalone server, I would recommend Debian.  The only
differences between that and Ubuntu are that Debian will give you a leaner
initial install and be much more stable.  Debian is ludicrously stable and
has a rigorous quality-control/security process, whereas Ubuntu, well, isn't
and doesn't.  Use the 4.0 "etch" version instead of 3.1 "sarge", since it's
about to become the new stable stable and is much more up to date.

> By default, vsftpd seems to accept sftp connections from system users
> and anonymous-only connections for regular ftp.
The "VS" in vsftpd stands for Very Secure, and that setup is best practise for
FTP, since giving any more access rights would be a security hole.  If you
need to change anything, check the man page first and if that doesn't help
try the wiki:
http://viki.brainsware.org/HomePage

> BTW, silly question, but is Kubuntu any different from Ubuntu without a
> window manager installed?
Nope, KUbuntu is just Ubuntu with a different GUI, they're otherwise
interchangeable.