Mark Dominus on 1 Feb 2007 18:40:46 -0000

[PLUG] Creation times on unix files

After our recent discussion of the "ctime" value in the inode, I spent
a while digging through some old Unix source code and other materials,
and I learned that extremely old Unix systems (prior to 1975,
basically) did in fact have a "creation time"!

I wrote to Dennis Ritchie, one of the authors of Unix, to ask where it
had gone; he said he thinks they took it out because they did not find
it useful.

A detailed summary of my findings, uincluding a lot of grovelling
through the Unix version 5 source code, is available from:
        http://blog.plover.com/Unix/ctime.html

?