Doug Crompton on 2 Feb 2007 16:55:24 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Daylight Savings Time

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Stephen Gran wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 10:01:46AM -0500, Doug Crompton said:
> > Is there a general Daylight Savings Time patch for Linux? I am running an
> > older version that I do not get updates for anymore. I suppose this is
> > handled in the Kernel. Is there a way to at least turn it off?
>
> As has been pointed out, this is a glibc, rather than a kernel, issue.

Ok but this does not answer my question or maybe it does and I do not
understand... what would you need to change in an existing Linux system to
support the DST change? Can this be done without recompiling the kernel?

> > This is changed to March 11 this year and if I manually change it then it
> > will change again on the old date. This is a big problem worldwide,
> > especially in equipment that has it imbedded in firmware.
>
> That's probably an argument against using equipment that isn't
> upgradeable :)
> --

True but how would anyone know this? So many devices automatically set
now, TV's VCR's and on and on. Most of these devices have no means of
firmware upgrade. You basically would not buy much of anything if you
followed that rule.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *