Matthew Rosewarne on 5 Feb 2007 02:28:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Drive/Partition Encryption

On Sunday 04 February 2007 20:28, Art Clemons wrote:
> I wonder if anyone has recomendations for encrypting a laptop partition.
>  I'm also interested in issues like recovery when for example a laptop
> is shutdown improperly.

I've been using dm-crypt on several laptops and the speed is quite good.  It's
in the kernel and is relatively easy to set up.  Debian etch's new installer
can set it up automatically.  I've not had any problems with recovery or
corruption after crashes/outages.

The future solution is truecrypt, which Isaac talked about.  It's not 100%
done yet in linux, and isn't in the kernel.  Userspace tools are also
somewhat sparse at the moment.  However, the primary advantage it has is that
it's usable in Windows.

I would say if you dual-boot or are feeling adventurous, try truecrypt, and if
not, use dm-crypt.