Geoff Rivell on 5 Feb 2007 18:07:37 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Best solution for Audio files

On Monday 05 February 2007 12:42, Jeff Watson wrote:
> Hello List! I have many many (dont we all) .m4a encoded sound files. They
> play fine in amarok, and I can put them on my iPod no problem. The issue is
> that i cannot burn a CD in graveman with m4a files. It will let me burn
> mp3's. What would you say is the best format to keep my audio in that will
> let me burn to disc, use with my ipod, and retain sound quality? I don't
> think ogg will play on an iPod. :-| And also, is it really wise to put my
> entire music collection through some horrible conversion process?
> (m4a->mp3...) wouldn't there be significant data loss, etc?
>
> Synopsis!
> I need an audio format that is "standard", works on ipod, and wont be
> horrible.
> Don't know if mp3 is a format i should stick with (legality/format issues
> perhaps pending in the future)

Have not checked (because I don't have a single .m4a) but perhaps K3B will
help you burn.  It is pretty good at knowing how to transcode audio to cdda.

If you have an iPod and don't want to put RockBox on it, mp3 and m4a are your
only choices.

That said, keep it in m4a as there will be a reduction of quality in any lossy
format (mp3, ogg, etc).

--
...."Have you mooed today?"...