Matthew Rosewarne on 9 Feb 2007 00:32:25 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Best solution for Audio files

On Monday 05 February 2007 15:58, Art Alexion wrote:
> Why don't you decode the m4a files to wav before burning, delete the wav
> files when done and keep the m4a files for amarok and ipod?  That way there
> is no additional loss.

This is (as far as I know) the only decent way to do it.  SoundKonverter is an
app that would ease this process.

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=29024

> So my suggestion, new stuff, store in mp3; old m4as, keep them that way and
> only decode to wav for burning.

There is a better option that doesn't require you to store your music in the
poor-quality mp3 format.  When getting future music, use the FLAC lossless
format, which has absolutely no loss of quality.  FLAC files are bigger than
M4a/vorbis/MP3, but far smaller than WAV.  Just about any FOSS audio app can
read FLAC, as can any app using DirectShow on Windows with the downloadable
FLAC DirectShow codec.  About the only thing that _can't_ play FLAC is
iTunes+iPod, since Apple doesn't allow the use of non-Apple formats besides
MP3.  However, there is a useful tool called MP3fs that uses the FUSE system
to take your FLAC files and show them as mp3s, transcoding them on the fly
when they are read.  This makes it possible to store your music in a
perfect-quality format and have iTunes/ipod compatibility without the waste
of having multiple copies of your music.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/
http://mp3fs.sourceforge.net/